Saturday, May 21, 2011

Weekend Warrior: Great Falls Trail Hike

After my work out at the gym, I decided to keep the cardio train on track and hit up the trails at Great Falls National Park. It's been a while since I've been there and they are definitely doing a lot of work on trail and facilities maintenance. As usual on a beautiful day the line of cars waiting to get into the park was crazy. Every time I get stuck in one of those lines, I always bemoan the fact that I didn't stuff my bike in my car and bike into the park. It's less expensive ($3) but of all the National Parks in this area Great Falls is one of the best because the fee, which is $5 by car, is good for three consecutive days to the park and also gets you into the C&O National Historical Park in MD. So you get a lot for the price, just cross your fingers for three consecutive days of good weather. The weather was perfect for a hike today and although my calves were killing me. I opted to do the River Trail, as it was a trail I hadn't been on before. I was into it immediately. This trail winds close to the river and I'd rate it as Medium in difficulty because there is some bouldering, steps, steep inclines, etc. involved. Overall some quality intervals that you can make more difficult if you take the side-trails off the main path. I did the entire River Trail down to the Patawmack Trail connection after the foot bridge then took that trail back. It took about 40 minutes to do the circuit. I really want to go back when the park opens and run the trail because it would be a great trail for that.

I took some videos and pictures along the way to share (p.s. don't judge the questionable way I took said videos...I was hiking by myself so I had to improvise).












And this is the best idea I've seen on a trail in a while - some climbers taking a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment