Sunday, May 22, 2011

On the subject of: Grocery Shopping

I felt like a foreigner. One of those people who you can just tell recently got a stamp in their passport and a welcome to the US smile. I should've worn a fanny pack, if I had a fanny pack. This is how I felt at the grocery store today. It was literally the first time in my entire life I've gone to the store focused on buying the good stuff. No, not the donuts or chips or cookies...oh the cookies! No, I was there to buy the fruits and veggies. To walk the Moosewood Cookbook Path. It felt like I was Muad'did looking for a Spice Worm - only not so serious-like (yes, I stayed up and watched Dune and Children of Dune the other night, don't judge me).

But, I grabbed a big cart and had my cookbook with me and I was ready to rock the hell out of this trip to Wegmans. $137 later. I had what you can see below - it constitutes like 1.5 weeks or perhaps 2 depending on what recipes I do - worth of groceries. I realized the extent to which I have bypassed the produce area when I had to call my mother, madam green thumb, gardener extraordinaire, to ask her how I knew what to look for in freshness. The only thing I knew about was lettuce and celery. So, I freely admit...I didn't know shit about produce. But by the end, I knew a little more. Let the cooking games begin.



No comments:

Post a Comment